Teeth can chip, crack or break
Although teeth are remarkably strong, but they can chip, crack or break. This can happen because of falling, biting down on something hard like ice or candy, bruxism, receiving a blow to the face, or just a weak tooth. Don’t panic if you discover that you have a broken tooth. Besides, there is nothing much you can do to treat a cracked tooth at home. You need to see your dentist who will diagnose and fix it.
Broken Tooth: What to do immediately?
To avoid further damage, infection or tooth loss, it is best to see your dentist as soon as possible. Meanwhile, you can try the following:
1. Rinse your mouth with salt water If the tooth is too painful.
2. If there is any sharp or jagged edge, cover it with a piece of sugarless chewing gum to avoid cutting your tongue or cheek.
3. Also, apply pressure with a piece of gauze on any bleeding areas until the bleeding stops.
4. If you must eat, eat foods that are soft and avoid using the broken tooth.
5. Apply a cold pack to the cheek or lips to reduce swelling and relieve pain.
Broken Tooth - What Your Dentist Will Do
There are different types of tooth fractures and breaks, including minor cracks, chips, serious cracks and breaks, broken cusp, split tooth, vertical and decay-induced break. Each type of fracture requires different treatment.
• Minor cracks —It affects only the enamel and usually requires no treatment apart from light polishing to smooth out any rough spots.
• Cracked tooth — Depending the type of fracture involves the whole tooth, from the chewing surface all the way down to the nerve. The pieces remain in place, but the crack gradually spreads over time. Also, cracks can sometimes be repaired with filling material. The tooth often will need to be capped with a crown to prevent the crack from getting worse. If the damage is extensive, you may need a root canal as well.
General Dentistry Services
Cost-effective dental services
Dental Check Up
During typical dental check up, the dentist cleans and polishes your teeth.
We Bulk Bill
We bulk-bill HICAPS, Kids eligible under child dental benefit scheme (CDBS), Veteran Affairs (DVA Gold Card), Emergency and General dental vouchers from QLD Government (Oral Health Services).