Digital radiographic imaging
Any modern dental practice requires radiographic imaging is an essential part of diagnosis. It is also part of documentation and as well as treatment planning. Digital X-rays technology definitely provide numerous advantages over their film predecessors.
At Rochedale Central Dentist, we use digital X-rays to better detect, diagnose, monitor and treat diseases. Digital Dental X-Rays are replacing traditional photographic X-ray film all over the world. This is because the imaging uses digital X-ray sensors that cause less radiation. It also enhances computer images of teeth, gums, and other oral structures. Since the processing time is faster, the digital x-rays provide immediate results. As a result, it is easier for us to reach an accurate and quick diagnosis.
Types of digital X-Rays in Dental Radiographs: Digital dental X-rays can be intraoral (inside your mouth) or extraoral (outside your mouth).
Intraoral Dental X-rays
This is probably the most common type of X-ray. There are different types of intraoral X-rays. Each shows different aspect of the teeth.
Bitewing X-rays show details of the upper and lower teeth in one particular area of the mouth.
Periapical X-rays show the whole tooth — from the crown, to where the tooth attaches into the jaw.
Occlusal X-rays track the development and placement of an entire arch of teeth.
Intraoral Dental X-Rays uses:
- Firstly, to detect cavities
- Secondly, to check the status of developing teeth
- Thirdly, to monitor teeth and bone health
Extraoral Dental X-rays
Extraoral X-rays detects dental problems with main focus on the jaw and skull . Also, there are several types of extraoral X-rays. This includes Panoramic X-rays, Tomograms, Cephalometric projections, Dental computed tomography (CT), Digital imaging and MRI imaging.
- Impacted teeth
- Monitor jaw growth and development
- Identify potential problems between jaw, teeth and temporomandibular joints (TMJ) or other facial bones
What are the benefits of digital X-rays?
- Mainly because they reveal hidden areas of decay between teeth or below fillings. Other uses include; to examine gum disease, abscesses, and tumours. This is even more important because they may not be detected easily with only a visual dental examination.
- Can be viewed instantly on a computer screen, and also the images being manipulated to enhance contrast and detail. This also aids in the faster detection and interpretation of the problem. Besides, they can be transmitted electronically to specialists for further consultation without loss in quality of image.
- Also, they can be stored easily in patient electronic records and be sent immediately to insurance companies and specialists. Consequently, reducing the lead time between diagnosis and treatment as well as leading to quicker settlement of insurance reimbursements. This will help save money, time and patient discomfort.
- Because digital sensors and PSP plates require 50 to 80 percent less radiation than film. This technology also adheres to the ALARA (As Low As Reasonably Achievable) principle, which promotes radiation safety.
General Dentistry Services
Cost-effective dental services
We Bulk Bill
We bulk-bill HICAPS, Kids eligible under child dental benefit scheme (CDBS), Veteran Affairs (DVA Gold Card), Emergency and General dental vouchers from QLD Government (Oral Health Services).